Thursday, January 11, 2018

Add Insurance to your Budget!

Happy New Year!  You haven't missed anything.  This is my first column of 2018.  Who decided that getting a flu shot is a good thing?  I received a flu shot at the insistence of my doctor and out course a week later got the flu.  Coincidence  I think not.  When I called I was told it's probably a different strand of flu and not the one I received a shot for.  I get there are many strands of flu in the world then why not just take your chances? I've been down for almost a week but on the good side I lost about seven pounds.

Why should we add insurance to the budget of our low budget film?  One a film with a few hundred thousand in the budget it's a MUST.  All rental houses demand you be insured.  The minimums are one million dollars in liability.  You lost or break the equipment you are covered.  Simple as that. Should give you piece of mind when shooting with a rented camera or lighting package.  Even Chapman Leonard requires insurance to rent one of their dollies.

Okay let's say you are shooting on a shoe string and everyone promises to be careful.  Do you still need insurance?  No one wants to have an accident.  That's why they;re called accidents.  One time I sent a PA to the store for a modest pick up.  Someone ran the light and hit her.  Wrecked the car and the PA was taken to the hospital.  Not her fault.  Did she have insurance coverage?  Yes, but why should her rates go up?  We had her vehicle on file with our grip truck, camera truck, and wardrobe van as a production vehicle.  Everything was covered.  Piece of mind.

Stunts carry a rider policy but what is considered a stunt and what is considered an accident.  While shooting "Lycanthrope" in Smithville, Tennessee, veteran actor, Robert Carradine was suppose to deliver his line and rush into a cave.  He really didn't have to rush we kind of added that.  First step into the cave he slipped on moss and fell cracking a knocking out his front tooth of his signature smile.  Had someone rush him to the hospital and they found him a dentist who had all the work done on his mouth before we returned from shooting.  Bobby couldn't wait to show me his smile.  The Medical bill would have been sixteen thousand dollars but insurance covered everything.

Even if you are just shooting in your mother's house it would be nice to be able to repair or replace anything that winds up broken or damaged.  Insurance is your friend.

Next week I will be writing to coincide with a podcast we will be starting.  Highlights will be found here at the column and I will let you know how to find us at our podcast entitled "Next Stop Hollywood."  Until then, I'll see you at the movies!

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment